Veterans Advisory Committee
The Town of Riverhead Veterans Advisory Committee has partnered with the Riverhead Business Improvement District and Wedel Sign Company to honor past and present Veterans, Active-Duty, Reserve, and National Guard members to install tribute banners on Main Street lamp posts in Downtown Riverhead and Jamesport.
Each banner is individualized to honor a specific person with his or her name, branch of service and a photograph. Community members are encouraged to sponsor a veteran, living or deceased by submitting an application and image to the Veterans Advisory Committee. The cost to sponsor a banner is $225 for one year of seasonal display.
The 21”x30” banners will then hang from downtown lamp posts annually from April-June in celebration of Memorial Day, and September-November in observance of Veterans Day. The application will reopen annually, allowing new applicants the opportunity to sponsor their Veteran. Previous year’s banners may be rotated into display, depending on the number of new banners each year.
Please click the Press Release below for more information.
PLEASE CLICK HERE FOR INFORMATION ON OUR "HOMETOWN HEROES BANNER PROJECT"
"Veterans Wall of Honor" Application
In 2014, the Veterans Advisory Committee was established to enhance the quality of life for veterans in the Town of Riverhead. The committee assists the Town in identifying the needs of its veteran community and advises the Town Board of the committee’s recommendations as to the direction the Town can take in coordinating services and programs benefiting our veteran population as well as providing them with valuable resources.
It is the Town of Riverhead Veterans Advisory Committee mission to:
- Assess the needs of veterans and recommend a direction for increased services and resources.
- The committee shall advise the Supervisor and Town Board, when requested, on all matters relating to the development and implementation of new services and resources involving veterans.
- Create awareness of the issues faced by veterans and maintain a forum for Town veterans to give feedback on issues that affect their lives.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the Supervisor.
- Submit an annual report to the Supervisor and Town Board.
Thomas Najdzion, Chair
Kimberly Judd, Esq., Secretary
TOWN BOARD LIAISON
4TH Monday of each month at 5:30 p.m.