The Riverhead Sewer District plant was originally constructed in 1937 as a primary treatment plant with chlorination for disinfection. In 1959 the plant was upgraded to a secondary treatment facility with the installation of trickling filters. The plant was upgraded again in the year 2000. The improvements included the installation of sequencing batch reactors (SBR’s) and the use of ultraviolet light for disinfection.
The plants permitted capacity is 1,200,000 gallons per day with a current flow of about 900,000 gallons per day.
The Riverhead Sewer District boundaries mainly include the hub area and business district of Riverhead. There are twelve (12) pumping stations and approximately 25 miles of sewer mains that transport sewage to the treatment plant.
In addition, the Town of Riverhead also owns the Riverhead Scavenger Waste plant. The scavenger waste plant treats waste from private and commercial septic systems or cesspools. Septic waste from the five East End towns and Eastern Brookhaven is transported to the plant by private haulers. The current dump fee is $.092 per gallon or $92.00 per thousand gallons.
The Town of Riverhead formed the Calverton Sewer District in 1999 when the old Grumman property was transferred to the Town. The district consists of 550 acres which makes up the industrial core area. There are three pumping stations which transport wastewater to the treatment plant that was constructed in the early 1950’s. An upgrade of this facility is scheduled to start within the next two years.
For a resident to connect to the Riverhead Sewer District, please complete the form below and return to the District office at 2 River Avenue. (Off Riverside Drive)
Grease Trap Affidavit
Phase I - Pilot Study
Advanced Wastewater Treatment Plant Wastewater Reuse for SC Indian Island Golf Course Irrigation
Map & Plan Engineering Design Report
Phase II Full Scale Implementation - Wastewater Reuse for Golf Course Irrigation
Sewer Connection Application
To become an authorized Drain layer for the Town of Riverhead:
- Write a letter to the Town Board requesting to become a Drain layer for the Town of Riverhead. List your Sewer experience in the letter and refer to jobs you have previously completed.
- Post an Irrevocable Letter of Credit in the amount of $5,000.00.
- You must provide a Certificate of Insurance naming the Town of Riverhead and the Riverhead Sewer District as additionally insured.
List of Authorized Sewer Drain Layers
Calverton Sewer District:
Application for Wastewater Discharge Permit or Modification
To obtain a Scavenger Waste License to dump at the Riverhead Scavenger Waste Treatment Plant you must provide the following:
- Two hundred and fifty dollars ($250.00) fee per truck looking to obtain a permit
- A copy of Liquid Waste Haulers License from Consumer Affairs
- A copy of N.Y.S. Drivers' License
- A copy of Vehicle Insurance
- Complete Scavenger Waste Application (including notarized signature)
- A copy of vehicle registration for every vehicle looking to obtain a permit
- Proof of Liability insurance
Items 1-7 must be brought to the Sewer District, 2 River Avenue, Riverhead, NY 11901 (631) 727-3069